DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Wiring Tesla iBooster

10095 Views 25 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  celioregoli_8720
Hi Everyone,
I have a Bosch iBooster and the brake pedal from a 2014 Model S p85.
I'm wiring them into my jag and would like to double check from anyone who might no better than me.

Some details
The brake switch has four wires
There is continuity between one red/white and the white/green when the switch IS pressed, but not between any other wires.
There is continuity between one red/white and the green/purple when the switch is NOT pressed, but not between any other wires.

My summary is;
white/green - Brake on
red/white - power ??
red/white - power??
green/purple - brake off

The iBooster has lots of wires;
fat yellow - power
fat black - earth
red/yellow - ignition or brake switch?? (notice this wire branches into 2)
red/white - brake switch or ignition?? (notice this wire branches into 2)

optional wires
couple of CAN twisted pairs.
two black wires that go to a plug in the fluid reservoir. I'm thinking they control a light to the dash to warn you that the fluid is low.

DrJeff confirmed the ibooster wiring except for the red/white wires that i have.

My assumption is that the red/white on the ibooster goes to the red/white on the brake switch as they are the same colours. is that a reasonable guess?
I therefore think the red/yellow is ignition.

Attachments

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
sorry but from the haste in the previous post, I wrote in Italian, I corrected the post
I bought another identical one. When it arrives I do the tests. I have 5 electric cars so even though I have 2 I use them. With the other identical one I can understand better, my main doubt is that this one I have is defective. I'll know this when I try the new one that's coming. There is a possibility that my ibooster needs a can bus command to go into fail safe mode.

· Registered
7 Posts
I mounted it. With the NE555 it works. I put the Ford Transit master cylinder with a 25.4 mm piston, the original one has a different orientation and a 23 mm piston. So while I had to change it, I chose the one with the bigger piston. My car had a 20mm. So I have a shorter pedal stroke, but harder, but the ibooster has 2 or 3 times the force, compared to the original depression. So now the pedal is soft and it brakes well and by sinking a little it brakes decisively and pushing a little more, it nails hard. Now it has beautiful braking. I am delighted and it exceeded my expectations. I have to thank EVcreate for the schematic and the photos.
My project

· Registered
7 Posts
The other ibooster identical to mine has arrived, the one that mounts the renault captur hybrid. I connected it and it does the same thing as the one I mounted in the car. So it's neither faulty nor defective, but it has a different factory setting. I read the ibooster documentation and it says that it can be configured by the manufacturers for the various types of car. now we need to find out which can bus messages must be sent, to put my ibooster in fail safe. and it would also be nice to be able to change the braking, sports, relaxation curves. what ibooster can do. I know little about the can bus, but I will still try to connect it to the PC and start studying.
i hope someone can help me.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

· Registered
7 Posts
SOLVED.
I connected the PC. and so I discovered that in order for these iboosters to work, they must be connected to a can bus line with a resistor to terminate. I tried to turn on the car with the can bus disconnected and the brake didn't work, how do I connect the can + wire, the ibooster turns on and does its job. I have now disconnected the ne555 and leave pin20 connected under key as usual.Ibooster send me 3AB can message. I'm happy I fixed it. and I hope to be of help to others.
Computer Personal computer Rectangle Font Electronic device

21 - 26 of 26 Posts