DIY Electric Car Forums banner

2541 - 2560 of 2569 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
one question (newbie):
why do you suggest drive motor and not the pump motor??
whats the difference
The drive motor moves the wheels. The pump motor pumps hydraulic fluid that is normally used to do the lifting.

The drive motor is designed to go forward and backwards, eliminating the need for a mechanical reverse. It will have 4 terminals because the way to reverse a series motor is to flip one pair of windings relative to the other pair.

The pump motor always turns the same way. So even if it's the same type and size of motor, often the two middle terminals will be continuous or connected together internally.

From what I've seen, drive motors often have fans. Pump motors do not.

Drive motors are typically larger, pump motors are typically smaller.

Pump motors tend to have a female output that the male pump plugs into, and this can be tricky to get a coupler for (take the pump too, and perform surgery on it).

And they'll be rated for different duty cycles, I think pump motors are generally not running continuously like drive motors are designed to be capable of.

You can use a pump motor if you want to, if it's the right size, if you have a mechanical reverse or you're okay doing a little surgery on it, if you take into effect the duty cycle (same as you would have to take in the duty cycle on a drive motor, it just might be a different duty cycle).

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
how do I upload the pictures??
The attachment button is super glitchy lately, and not showing up for everyone (including, intermittently, me): https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/missing-menu-attachments-202635.html

As a workaround...

Go to: http://imgur.com and then upload your images, copy the link to them, and then encase them between square bracket (img)Urlhere.jpg(/img) tags (like that, but with square brackets instead of round ones).

Your motor sounds like a good one though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The attachment button is super glitchy lately, and not showing up for everyone (including, intermittently, me): https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/missing-menu-attachments-202635.html

As a workaround...

Go to: http://imgur.com and then upload your images, copy the link to them, and then encase them between square bracket (img)Urlhere.jpg(/img) tags (like that, but with square brackets instead of round ones).

Your motor sounds like a good one though.
ok thanks for the help :)

https://imgur.com/rSsumHB

https://imgur.com/Fr0O10f

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello eveyone

I just picked up a 12in Ge motor BJ40-76 I think is a short one because only has the view holes at the back. No fan blads at the front.

Wanting to make as much power the motor can handle thinking of 125v and 1000amps for start wondering if any I could contact to see what I could do to make it last a long time with a lot of power. The motor has the smaller commutator count. People said the smaller number of com bars the more volts.
Also thinking about clocking it 10 degrees

Looking at the paul and sabrina controller 350v and 1000 amp
if any one could also send a link of how to build and parts list on this controller found many of the 144v volt one but not the 350v 100amp one.

Thank yall

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys... I'm currently just in the research phase of a DIY EV conversion....
I've seen a few webpages with motor calculations but it's way over my head...

so I'm hoping you can help me out...

Would this motor be good enough to propel a 2000 Honda CRV?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hkUMXqyZhwn0KipjN7IVB79LqZDV9pmN/view?usp=sharing

If not, what motor specifications would you suggest me to look for in order to propel that vehicle (curb weight 3126 and has 15" wheels)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey guys... I'm currently just in the research phase of a DIY EV conversion....
I've seen a few webpages with motor calculations but it's way over my head...

so I'm hoping you can help me out...

Would this motor be good enough to propel a 2000 Honda CRV?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hkUMXqyZhwn0KipjN7IVB79LqZDV9pmN/view?usp=sharing

If not, what motor specifications would you suggest me to look for in order to propel that vehicle (curb weight 3126 and has 15" wheels)
You want a 9-11” dc series wound motor if you are going dc. Typically traction motors out of a forklift.

·
Registered
194 Posts
This is more of a generic question regarding AC forklift motors. I admit I don't understand AC as well as DC but I'm wondering if they can be run at higher voltage to get more speed and possibly more power to make them viable for use in an EV. I did some reading of older discussions on here using AC forklift motors in an EV and it sounded like a bad choice, mostly because of finding a suitable controller.Is that still the case? I know there have been quite a few successful AC controllers built for running OEM EV motors recently. Could they be used with a forklift motor instead? Are AC forklift motors much different? I know they run slower, but do they have to? Rpm/volt is about the same as the automotive motors. Reason I'm asking, I got an older AC forklift that I'm trying to decide what to do with. Just wondering if the motors would be usable for a conversion if I decide to part it out.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I know there have been quite a few successful AC controllers built for running OEM EV motors recently. Could they be used with a forklift motor instead?
Yes, you can control any AC motor with the DIY solutions out there that repurpose OEM EV inverters.

Are AC forklift motors much different? I know they run slower, but do they have to? Rpm/volt is about the same as the automotive motors. Reason I'm asking, I got an older AC forklift that I'm trying to decide what to do with. Just wondering if the motors would be usable for a conversion if I decide to part it out.
My plan is to run a 48v motor at much higher voltage and speed, fed by a Prius Gen 2 inverter controlled by one of Damien's control boards and Johannes' Open Inverter software. However, I haven't gotten that far yet so I can't report back as to what it can do.

A benefit of using AC is that you can also do regen, if that matters to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just posted pics and detailed questions on a separate thread, but I'm looking at a forklift where is has 4 connections going to the motor. Does this mean it's sepex?

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
H 86,
No, however SepEx motors do have 4 terminals. 2 for armature, usually A1 and A2. 2 for the field, usually labeled F1 and F2. Series motors typically use A1, A2, S1 and S2.
major

·
Registered
5 Posts
That particular diff is a 3.73. I like the BMW differentials because they used the same diff on all their cars, but changed the ring and pinion. So there is a wide selection of gear ratios, From 2.79 to 5.44. AC is supposed to be a better choice for direct drive due to the wider power band.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm sure that many rear end ratios do exist for Beemers. You would probably have to buy a gear set from a company that sells parts for race cars. A nice gear ratio might be in the 4.88 or even 5.13:1 range. That would be nice and LOW. I don't know if a Beemer differential housing is big engough to go that low though... Oh heck. My Rx2 diff was big enough to run a 4.88. A Beemer should be capable of that

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info and another ? What is the approx HP rating on these motors?
What's the deal here? Do you got a crystal ball or what! :)

2 and 5 ft/lbs? Doesn't seem like a whole heck of a lot!

EM....not following you...

Are you kidding? I've been surfing for a few days now....haven't been able to find squat until a couple of minutes ago...

I'll get some pic's posted sometime this weekend after I get them cleaned up a bit. They're not dirty as in 'used and dirty', they're more 'been sitting outside in the dust and mud' dirty.

Aside from the help on that Motor 101 page, any tips for taking these things apart
What's the deal here? Do you got a crystal ball or what! :)

2 and 5 ft/lbs? Doesn't seem like a whole heck of a lot!

EM....not following you...

Are you kidding? I've been surfing for a few days now....haven't been able to find squat until a couple of minutes ago...

I'll get some pic's posted sometime this weekend after I get them cleaned up a bit. They're not dirty as in 'used and dirty', they're more 'been sitting outside in the dust and mud' dirty.

Aside from the help on that Motor 101 page, any tips for taking these things apart?

I've got an idea on how to get around that, but I have to put it down on paper. It involves machining a shaft to engage that slot, putting a lip on that shaft which will ride up against a bearing plate. A bit like a drive shaft center carrier bearing in a weird sort of way. Basically, I would think it would end up adding a couple inches to the overall length of the motor.
Utilize a rigid coupling?

2541 - 2560 of 2569 Posts